- Loughborough office
01509 268 931
Criminal Litigation Paralegal
Holidays: 33 days holiday inclusive of bank and other public holidays
Salary: Up to £20,500 pa dependent on experience.
Location: Loughborough (we have a flexible working policy in place).
Contract: Full time/ Permanent
Straw and Pearce is a well-established firm. It is a highly skilled, full-service firm based in the heart of Loughborough. We are modern, progressive law firm. We’re driven by new ideas; excited by new approaches; and also refreshingly down-to-earth. We think differently and we’ve built a culture where individual skills and personalities can shine through. We have progression opportunities across the firm.
As a criminal litigation paralegal, you will be assisting and supporting senior members of the criminal litigation team on a varied case load which includes anything from theft to murder. You will have hands on support from our experienced solicitors and will benefit greatly from the combined knowledge and experience of the firm’s criminal litigation team. You will be a key member of the criminal litigation department and will have a positive impact on the firm’s already excellent growth and reputation.
Whilst we offer flexible working, this role will be office based. You will be expected to work on an ‘out of office hours’ rota representing client’s during Police station interviews. Such attendance attracts overtime payment.
Your day to day responsibilities may include:
- Various admin tasks
- Advising clients at the Police Station (once qualified to do so)
- Obtaining instructions from clients
- Drafting correspondence and providing advice to clients (subject to close supervision)
- Assisting solicitors with trial preparation
- On complex and/or high value cases, you will work within a team, assisting with specific tasks (e.g. document reviews, preparation of court documents, etc.).
- Matter management and client reporting
Skills & Experience
- A degree qualification is essential and a law degree desirable.
- Police station accreditation is desirable but not essential.
- Legal assistant/Paralegal experience within criminal litigation is desirable, but not essential
- Excellent client engagement and IT skills are also required.
The work undertaken by the successful candidate will qualify as ‘Qualifying Work Experience’ for the purposes of qualifying as a solicitor. Study leave will be provided for the sitting of the SQE exams.
If you are interested in applying for this role, please send your CV with a covering letter to Ms Emma Newton, HR Manager: firstname.lastname@example.org